Water isn't only good for your insides (especially your brain). It turns out drinking water could also be the world's best kept beauty secret! Keep reading for our top five beauty benefits.
Before we dive in, let’s get nerdy! Your blood is made up of four main parts: plasma (the liquid part), and red and white blood cells and platelets (the solid part). Over half of your blood is made of plasma, and water is the main component of that plasma. When you are properly hydrated, your blood becomes more viscous and can effectively transport nutrients to the rest of your body. This means that all the food you eat and the all vitamins you take to nourish your hair, skin, and nails won’t work if you aren’t drinking enough water!
Now, here are the five beauty benefits to increasing your water intake.
- Your skin is 64% water, so the more you stay hydrated, the better your skin looks and feels. Dry skin is less elastic, so it won’t stretch and move, which results in more tears to the skin, which increases the risk of acne! The more water you drink, the less acne you are likely to have.
- Along the same lines, the more water that is in your system, the more supple your skin appears to be, and the less you will see of wrinkles and cellulite!
- Before heading out to your favorite beauty supply store to find an expensive hair treatment, try drinking the recommended amount of water. You might notice your hair feeling softer and healthier in no time!
- Do you have dry, brittle nails that chip easily? Take a look at your water intake. They may benefit from increased water consumption.
- Although it sounds contradictory, the more water you drink, the less bloated and swollen you will feel. When you don’t get enough water, your body stores it as a survival technique (just in case you wouldn’t be able to find a water source for a while.) As soon as you start drinking more, your body begins to realize that it no longer needs to hold on to that water and you should begin feeling less bloated.
We understand the importance of looking and feeling your best. That is why we provide you with the best tasting, highest quality water... which makes the task of drinking water much more enjoyable.
Editor's note: This post was originally published in December of 2016 and has been updated since.