We know the subject of hydration comes up a lot around here (we do sell water after all) but that's because we know that hydration is so important to every aspect in life. If you have been following us for awhile then you know how much water you need to be drinking, and we know that you do drink that much, right? But did you know that your pet’s hydration is just as important as yours! Knowing how much water your pooch needs is essential in giving him the best life.
Be sure to monitor your dog’s water intake to ensure that he is getting an adequate amount. Experts say that your dog should be drinking about ½ ounce to 1 ounce of water per pound body weight. One way to know if your dog is dehydrated is to grab the skin at the shoulder blades and gently pull up on it. If the skin remains in a tent shape, they are most likely dehydrated!
Here are some helpful hints about how to keep your dog well hydrated:
- Make sure to never separate your dog and his water bowl. He should have access to it at all times.
- Provide clean, clear water for your dog at all times.
- If your dog is overly dehydrated and won’t drink a lot of water, try switching from dry food to moist canned food or raw foods, both of which contain water.
- Have more water available in the warmer months or if your dog has been exercising
- Let your pup take plenty of water breaks in the shade if you've been playing together under the sun.
- Monitor panting—it’s how dogs cool down, but a lot of water is lost through their tongues as they pant.
- Ask your vet for advice if you feel your pooch has changed in behavior or cannot seem to get enough water—there may be a bigger, underlying cause!
Be mindful of your canine’s water intake because there is also such thing as too much water intake for dogs. With summer approaching, you want to make sure your dog isn't drinking too much as a result of water sports and trips to rivers or lakes!
At our recent donation event, the Furry Scurry, we met so many friendly pups of all shapes and sizes. We realize a lot of our customers have pets of their own and we want to make it clear that if you don’t drink out of the faucet, they shouldn’t either. Make sure to take your pet's water needs into account when ordering your Eldorado Natural Spring Water home delivery service.
Does your pooch love our water? We would love to hear from our happy customers, including the furry kind! Drop us a photo of your pet enjoying our water!